How breast cancer is detected and treated10/09/2019
How many women in Germany are diagnosed with breast cancer?
Breast cancer is the most common malignant Tumor in women. In Germany, the centre for cancer registry affected data show that each year 69,000 women. Statistically, one in eight women is affected in the course of your life from breast cancer. The risk increases with advancing age: at The age of 45 years – old Manuela Schwesig – ill of the 47 women in the next ten years to breast cancer. In the case of 65-Year-olds, the risk is significantly greater in this group of 27 women will be diagnosed up to the age of 75 years. Thereafter, the probability decreases again.
The Federal statistical office estimated that about 130.000 women were treated in the year 2017 due to breast cancer in the hospital. The number of treatments was therefore compared with 2007 to almost 12 percent. Four out of five of the women (approximately 105,000 patients) were 50 years and older.
Overall, the number of new cases among women has increased in the past 20 years. Among the reasons for the improved early detection and the increasing age. However, the proportion of fatal breast cancer decreases at the same time diseases.
Men can also develop breast cancer, which is, however, very rare: In 2014, the Tumor in 650 men have been diagnosed, compared to 69.220 women – new.
As the cancer is detected?
An important role in the detection of tumors, the woman herself plays on Palpation of the chest, as well as the annual preventive examination by a gynecologist. Early detection of both, however, is not. This is the purpose of mammography Screening to all women between 50 and 69 years in Germany invited – the costs are borne by the statutory health insurance. In the case of the x-ray examination specialists can detect changes in the breast early on – the earlier a malignant Tumor is detected, the better the chances of healing are. However, any on Palpation or mammography observed change is not actually cancer.
In addition to the mammogram, Doctors also use ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (breast MRI) for the diagnosis. In the case of very dense breast tissue about an ultrasound examination, MRI is suitable in addition, images can make a good fast-growing cancers will be visible. At the end of a tissue sample safety is often initial, whether it is a malignant change and what kind of Tumor is present.
Where is breast cancer?
It divides the breast into four quadrants, the Tumor most commonly in the upper outer quarter.
What are the different forms of tumours are there?
- benign tumors: these include cycle-induced changes and tissue condensations, but also cycle-independent nodes, the fatty tissue, glands, or connective tissue are can.
- Cancer precursors: With the early detection methods of the smallest changes in the breast are visible. Some of them are precursors of cancer, which malignant cancer can develop.
- Early cancer forms (so-called Ductal Carcinoma in situ): The DCIS is an early form of breast cancer in the Milk ducts, not in the surrounding tissue to grow or metastatic. It is according to the German cancer society and is almost always curable.
- malignant tumors (breast cancer): In about 70 to 80 percent of the cases involve these tumors in the milk ducts (ductal carcinomas). In 10 to 15 percent of the tumor cells from the glandular tissue (lobular carcinoma) are derived.
How quickly you must react to the diagnosis?
“The diagnosis of breast cancer is usually not a medical emergency, the immediate need for treatment,” reads the Homepage of the cancer information service. “Every woman, when she was placed, has enough time and should take them -in order to be informed about treatment options and to find a clinic you can trust.”
What is the prognosis?
Breast cancer has a good prognosis: Statistically, five years after the diagnosis of 87 per cent of the affected women. Whether and how well a Tumor is killable, however, depends on various factors. The size of the tumor count and whether he has already grown into the surrounding tissue or in the lymph nodes or other Parts of the body has spread. Also, the type of the tumor (quick or slow growth, hormone-dependent or -independent cells) plays for the forecast in addition to the targeted therapy an important role.
How is breast cancer treated?
Breast cancers are very Individual, the Form of treatment depends on the type of tumor, its size, the risk that he has already secreted from cancer cells, and the Wishes of the patient. Generally, the therapy uses a but always on the same block, from which the doctor and patient together make a treatment plan.
Must always be operated on?
Also in the case of breast cancer with good chance of cure, surgery is usually necessary to remove the Tumor and often the adjacent lymph nodes. A Tumor cancer has spread cells, the lymph nodes of the first places that can be reached from these. After the surgery, the removed tissue to a lab to be examined and, among other things, an analysis of whether already cancer cells in the Lymph – and blood vessels.
How is it after the surgery?
After the surgery, therapies that are intended to prevent separate cancer spread cells in the body, and new tumors form often follow. There are several possibilities:
- Irradiation: For irradiation is as for the surgery, a local treatment: It is only the breast tissue is treated, in which the Tumor is grown, the part of the tissues around the lymph nodes in the armpit. The high-energy rays to destroy remaining cancer cells. Studies show that all women benefit from a radiation, in which the breast was in the surgery is not completely removed. In General, the radiation begins four to six weeks after surgery, when the wound is healed. Chemotherapy is planned, it starts only after its completion.
- Chemotherapy: Go to the Doctors estimated that the tumor cells from the breast spread, and metastases have formed, could, comes a chemotherapy question. This is not a local, but a systemic therapy. Because it acts in the entire body, it can also destroy tumor cells, which have come up in the abdominal cavity. The tumour at diagnosis is large, it can be chemotherapy, even before surgery, to shrink it and to be able to be more gentle operate.
- Anti-hormone therapy: Some tumors have Docking ports, for sex hormones, can have Estrogenic growth increase. In this case, patients can perform an anti-hormone therapy, which suppresses both the production and action of Estrogen in the body. The treatment lasts for at least five years.
- Goal of courts of medications: there are also possibilities of processes in cancer cells to block and this to Grow to prevent. These therapies also come only in certain forms of cancer in question, such as when the cancer cells Docking sites for the growth factor HER2 have. These can then be selectively blocked.
What’s more, if breast cancer is curable?
Then it comes to a so-called palliative therapy. It has to prevent the goal, to keep the complaints as low as possible and at the same time a progression of the cancer. “The goal of the scientist today is to be able to cancer as a chronic disease to treat, the use of drugs is kept under control can be comparable with, for example, Diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or coronary heart disease,” writes the German cancer society. To this goal, already today, even with advanced breast cancer often over a longer period of time.