A young woman had to sit for months in a wheelchair – it is Only through the unique Caress of a cat30/01/2019
24-Year-old after Petting a stray cat paralyzed
A young woman from the UK stroking in a holiday in Portugal, a stray cat and ended up in a wheelchair. Apparently it had infected the 24-Year-old by Touching the animal with the bacterium Campylobacter, which meant that she could not go on for months.
Bacterial infection brought a young woman in the wheelchair
Especially in the case of cats it can have many animal friends to pet. Also with Gemma Birch from Southport in the North West of England this was the case – but then, something that made sure that happened, that it touches only some of the animals. Because the 24-Both withdrew when Stroking a stray cat to a bacterial infection, and the result was that you ended up in a wheelchair.
Campylobacter bacteria are in the stool detected
According to a report in the British newspaper “Mirror” has moved the 24-year-old Gemma Birch 2014 with a holiday in Portugal an infection, which ensured that she was temporarily paralyzed from the hips down.
The information that the blogger was located in Albufeira, where you ran a stray cat on the way, with the help of you friends.
However, the animal love was her undoing: on the last day of your short vacation you had to vomit again and again, violently, and was on the flight back passed out.
Back in the UK she was taken to Southport Hospital, where Doctors eventually discovered that her chair contained the bacteria Campylobacter.
These germs are commonly found especially in chicken meat.
Symptoms of a Campylobacter infection
Campylobacter infections can cause intestinal inflammation, the pain and symptoms such as diarrhea, severe abdominal and fever go hand in hand.
Possible Nausea and vomiting, blood in the stool, as well as additional symptoms such as head and body aches, chills or fatigue.
In rare cases, Guillain-Barré syndrome, a disease of the nervous system as a complication of Campylobacteriosis, the possible. The 24-year-old Englishwoman was one of those rare cases.
The disease attacks the nervous system
According to the report in the newspaper, Gemma Birch has been fired after a week from the hospital. But her father brought her quickly back again, after they had been in the middle of the night, numbness in the legs.
The Doctors diagnosed the patient with the Guillain-Barré syndrome – a disease in which the body’s own immune system attacks your own nervous system.
Then, the blogger spent according to their own information four months in a rehabilitation hospital, and returned only after 14 months to your normal Self.
“I had to rely on nurses to bring me to the bathroom and wash me. I lost control of my bowels and my bladder and could not use my arms and hands because they were so weak,“ said the young woman.
She believes that she has contracted the infection from the cat in Portugal, which has brought the germs may Rummaging in the garbage cans.
This is obvious, and shows, among other things, also an older study, published in the “Canadian Medical Association Journal”.
The researchers reported that four-legged friend health can transmit harmful pathogens to humans, such as through bites and scratches, or even if you the animal face licks.
A patient is become more cautious
Gemma Birch has become after the long ordeal more careful.
“As much as I love, I could not touch a stray cat now. I love pet cats and would pet,“ said the 24-Year-old.
However, you would hope, “that you have not dug into hotel containers”.
Her wish is that people appreciate your health while you have them. (ad)